The Tinley Park Historical Society is home to many artifacts that relate to the Batchelors Grove settlement. You can also find a couple of the original headstones on display that used to be out at the cemetery. Even the building itself has a history with the Batchelors Grove settlement.
Attempting to list all of the artifacts on display would not be as enjoyable as witnessing them yourself. Please be courteous when visiting and remember to donate at least one dollar upon arrival for all of the Society's hard work in helping to preserve our history.
The map below shows the location to the society itself.
The following was extracted from the plaque located at the front of the Tinley Park Historical Society
"Old Zion" Landmark 6727 174th Street
Built 1884; Illinois Historic Structures and Landmarks Surveys, 1972 & 1975; Tinley Park Historic Site, 1975
This building served as the second Zion Lutheran Church. The congregation's first permanent church was a former one-room schoolhouse, which had been moved from the area of Batchelor's Grove in the 1870s onto the Village of Bremen "Markt Platz" (market place), across the street from the present church structure. The old structure was later used for both church and public school. In 1884, local residents, including carpenters John Klepper, Sr. and Jacob Funk, built this church in the "Prairie Gothic" style. The stained glass bible window above the front door was added in 1912. The walls and ceiling of the sanctuary were finished with decorative pressed metal sheeting in 1920. The tall Gothic stained glass windows on the front and side walls were installed in 1938, replacing earlier opaque and original clear glass panes. In 1955, the Zion Lutheran congregation moved to a location at 171st and 69th Avenue and this church was sold to the Church of Christ (now Parkview Christian Church). Through efforts of the Tinley Park Bicentennial Commission, the building was acquired for the Tinley Park Historical Society in 1975. A museum of local history is contained in a 1959 addition to the rear of original church.
Tinley Park Historical Society
6727 West 174th Street
Tinley Park, IL 60477